The FOSS Planet

It is all about Free and Open Source Software !!

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Hardware Information in Linux

When I first came to Linux world, there was a word called "FORUM" which works as a saviour for a newbie ! All the problems the user will be facing, the solutions will be there. That's a good sign and this is the main purpose of the forum to help out new comers.

But everything falls under rules... Right ? So, there are some rules to be followed by the forum members. The first and essential rule is, if you have a problem and want to let the moderators know you are facing that kind of trouble, then you have to post the problem with details and with your "Hardware Information".  This is also called "HWinfo" in short.

Here is the problem arises. A new user can't find the information about the hardware so easily. So, my this post is for helping the new user to get hardware information with no fuss.

The first program I want to introduce with you is called "I-Nex". For windows users, I can say this program is equivalent to the popular "CPU-Z". It is so much user friendly and users can upload the report generated by this program at sites like postbin.



The second tool I want to share with you is "List Hardware". It is popularly known as "LSHW". LSHW supports both command line and graphical interface. The user can use it according there preferences. It shows the quite same amount of information just like I-Nex.
The only difference between these two is LSHW can be used on command line.





At last, I'm gonna mention my good old friend "lspci" or "ListPCI". It will show the user all the pci devices active in his/her computer with the device IDs. To get some detailed information about the pci devices, user can use the following:


lspci -v -s ID

For AGP devices, users can use lsagp maintaining the above mentioned procedure.

That's all guys. If you know some other programs that are great to you for obtaining hardware information, then let me know by your comments. Stay with me for more articles. Thanks a lot. Stay Home, Stay Safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad